In Microsoft Outlook, an OST file is an offline folder. This can be used in offline mode and will automatically sync when the internet is connected, whereas PST files are used to store on the server (except for Exchange servers) on the user’s hard disc. This blog discusses the best way to convert OST to PST file format. It will also distinguish the benefits and drawbacks of each of these OST to PST manual approaches, as well as Recommend using a Definite Software to convert OST to PST.
Distinctions Between Outlook OST and PST Formats
- OST is an offline storage folder, whereas PST is a personal storage folder.
- PST is used locally, whereas OST can be used online.
- OST only supports the MS Exchange server, but PST files are compatible with servers other than the Exchange setup.
- OST files allow users to read, view, compose emails, and so on even when they are not connected to the internet, whereas PST files do not.
The Possible Reasons for Converting an OST File to a PST File.
- When mailboxes are deleted from the server • When you convert Exchange mailboxes
- An Exchange user wants to rebuild the .ost folder, but there are some unsaved items in the .ost file.
- If a user wants to view a .ost file saved in Outlook 2013 on another device, they must use Outlook 2016.
- The .ost files become inaccessible due to a server error.
Methods for Converting an OST File to a PST File
This post will provide you with the top three methods for converting an OST file to a PST file. For a safe and secure conversion process, it is advised to use a third-party solution.
Solution 1: Using the Archiving Method
When you enable Archiving, Outlook emails from an OST file are saved in new PST files. It also aids in keeping the size of your mailbox consistent.
To accomplish this, follow the steps outlined below:
- Select File in the Outlook application on your computer.
- After selecting File, select Options.
- Now, select Auto-Archive settings from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the days for which you want auto-archiving to run.
- After that, select the folder to save to, then select the Archiving option, and finally click the OK button.
Following completion of these steps, the items in your OST file will be saved in the PST file. You can view your OST to PST migrated file.
Solution 2: Using an Exchange Account
To export an OST file to PST format, first log in to Outlook with the Exchange account that will be used to create the OST file.
Follow the steps outlined below:
- Open the Files menu and select Open & Export.
- Select the Import and Export option.
- Then, Select the Export file and then click Next.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and then click Next.
- Then, select the folder you want to export and press the Next button.
- Now, navigate to the location where you want to save the file.
- Your file was converted from OST to PST format.
It is critical to understand that when Exchange is unavailable, either temporarily or permanently, OST files must be converted to PST files. There are numerous limitations to manually converting OST files to PST files.
Let Us Go Over The Limitations That Occur When you Convert OST to PST:
It is not possible to recover an Exchange mailbox from orphaned OST files: Orphaned OST files are .ost files that are associated with any Exchange server. After Exchange is destroyed or crashes, such .ost files are the only source of information for the user, and there is no manual way to convert them.
A similar type of Exchange account is required: It is not permitted to use a different Exchange account to access the .ost file. Only the original Outlook user can convert their OST files to PST files. This is yet another disadvantage of manual conversion.
Time Consumption: Different Outlook versions have different locations for storing .ost files. That is why they are difficult to find. The method for retrieving or converting them to PST differs. Overall, it is a time-consuming process.
Only experienced or technical experts are willing to perform a manual OST to PST conversion. If you want to convert a file but are not an expert, avoid making manual changes and instead use software for a better and more time-saving option.
Solution 3: Technical Assistance in Converting OST to PST Format:
Use beneficial or trusted software to convert your data file. Based on my previous experience, I recommend that you use SysTools Official OST to PST Converter Software to convert OST to PST file format. With this software, you can easily convert in a short period of time. This software includes a plethora of advanced features. Let’s take a look at it.
SysTools OST To PST Conversion Software has the following features:
- Email, event, calendar, contacts, Tasks, Journals, and other data can be converted.
- Bulk export and auto-locate.
- Showcase the restoration of deleted data.
- Allows you to convert Outlook .bak files to PST files.
- Microsoft Outlook and Windows versions are supported by the OST migration tool.
The Most Frequently Asked Question by Users:
In Outlook, how do I convert an OST file to a PST file?
I hope that whatever we discussed above will undoubtedly assist you in locating your answer. You can easily import Exchange server OST in Outlook using the above free solution and technical method.
As we all know, OST files contain all of the Exchange Server’s important data. It is not an easy process to import. The user will have to deal with a lot of problems as a result of this. In order to comprehend the scenario, we discussed the Manual Solution, limitations, and Facts. The manual procedure has some advantages, but it also has some disadvantages. As a result, it is advised to use a trouble-free method to convert OST to PST files.