17 Underlayer Hair Color Ideas
What are the best underlayer hair color ideas for your next hairstyle? This blog article shares 17 different underlayer hair color ideas to give you some suggestions.
There are a lot of different colors that can be used as an underlayer hair color. Some of the popular colors include black, brown, blond, red, and platinum.
What to Expect When you dye your hair using an underlayer hair color, you will need to prepare your hair in the same way as if you were going to dye it the main color. You will need to shampoo and condition your hair before coloring it, and you will also need to use a heat protectant.
Instructions for Underlayer Hair Color To dye your hair using an underlayer hair color, follow these instructions:
- Shampoo and condition your hair as normal.
- Deep condition your hair for 30 minutes with a treatment specifically designed for colored hair.
- Wait 10 minutes and then rinse the lightning products out of your hair completely.
- Apply the main color to the entire head of the hair, starting at the roots and working your way up.
- Allow the color to set for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it out.
- Rinse your hair well.
- Brush and style your hair as normal, or let it air dry naturally for 1-2 days before styling.
- Do not get extensions dyed in the same color as your hair! If you do, they will not match.
*Note: The main color will fade after 4 weeks of use*, but the underlayer colors will remain vibrant and beautiful for up to 6 months.
*Note: Be sure to follow instructions closely when dyeing your hair with an underlayer color! Over-application and use of non-BET underlayers can ruin the vibrant finish of your hair.
Reasons Why Underlayers are Awesome
- Underlayers are awesome because they add volume and texture to your hair.
- Underlayers can also be used to create a natural look for your hair.
- They are perfect for people who want to add some extra protection against heat damage or fizziness.
- Underlayers can also add some great definition to your hair when worn as an updo.
- They are great for people who want different layers, or for those who want an extra lift at the roots.
- Underlayers can be used to protect your hair from sun damage, or even skin damage from chemicals and styling products.
- If you wear your hair in a very tight updo, underlining it will help make sure the style doesn’t fall down during a long day on the slopes!
- Underlayers are perfect for people with damaged hair that could use some extra heat protection and strength.
- They can also be used to hold up messy ponytails really well!
What to Wear as an Underlayer
When it comes to hair color, there is no one right answer. That’s why it can be fun to experiment with different underlayer colors.
There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing an underlayer color:
- Your underlayer should be light enough that it won’t be too noticeable, but dark enough so that it will add dimension and depth to your hair.
- You can also try using different colors together as an underlayer. For example, you might try a light purple underlayer with blonde hair. This will create a beautiful contrast.
- Finally, make sure that the underlayer doesn’t clash with your main hair color. If your hair is light brown, for example, don’t use a green underlayer.
Underlayer Hair Color Ideas
There are a lot of different underlayer hair color ideas out there, and it can be hard to decide on something that you’ll love for years to come.
Here are five underlayer hair color ideas that will get you started:
- Blonde Underlayer Hair Color Ideas: For girls who want to add some brightness to their hair color, blonde underlayer hair is a great option. This hair color is lighter than the rest of your hair, so it will look natural and beautiful when worn underneath darker hair colors. You can go light or dark with this shade, depending on how bright you want your highlights to be.
- Honey Brown Underlayer Hair Color Ideas: For those who want a warm undertone in their hair color, honey brown is a great choice. It has a natural look that will complement most face colors and skin tones.
- Soft Black Underlayer Hair Color Ideas: If you’re looking for a dark undertone in your hair color, black underlayer hair is a great option. This shade is very rich and intense, so it will look amazing when worn as the main element of a bold look.
- Cool Red Underlayer Hair Color Ideas: Cool red underlayers are very similar to the warmer version, but with a cool undertone instead of a warm one. This shade works great for those who want to wear their natural blond highlights without putting too much effort into it.
- Blond Underlayer Hair Color Ideas: You can use this underlayer hair color idea as your main element when you want to add some natural blonde highlights to your hair color. It is more subtle than the red version, but it still looks great on light or medium brown hair tones.
- Warm Red Underlayer Hair Color Ideas: If you already have a cool red undertone in your natural blonde highlights, then this warm red version will work perfectly as an alternative — and it is also very flattering on light brown hair.
- Blue Underlayer Hair Color Ideas: Blue looks really cool in light brown and medium brown shades, and it can brighten up your hair in a very effective way. It is much easier to wear blue underlayer shades on short, dark, or cut-off layers.
- Blonde Underlayer Hair Color Ideas: The most common blonde undertone shades you will find on the market today are cool, neutral, and warm lavender underlayers (which are often seen together).
How to Change Up Your Hair Color with Underlayers
If you’re looking for new hair color but don’t want to go all-in, consider changing up your hair color with underlayers. Underlayers are a great way to add depth and dimension to your hair color without having to make a big change.
Here are some tips on how to do it:
- Start by shampooing your hair as usual.
- Avoid shampoos that contain sulfates or harsh chemicals, as these can damage your hair.
- Next, apply a conditioning treatment to your locks.
- Conditioners designed for colored hair will help to nourish and protect your hair from damage.
- Apply the conditioner throughout your locks, focusing on the roots and the tips.
- Next, apply a styling product to your hair.
Some examples of products that work well with underlayers are heat protectants, volumizing agents, and detangling treatments. Now it’s time to apply the underlayer! Start by applying the underlayer just below your natural color. Think light weight, natural looks and no product build-up!
Looking for some new hair color ideas? Check out our blog “write for us” + fashion and see some of the most fashionable underlayer hair colors. From light brown to dark chocolate, we have you covered. Plus, our fashion experts will help you find the perfect outfit to match your new color!
Now that spring is in the air, it’s time to start thinking about hair color. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different tones and hues until you find the perfect shade for you!